Thursday, September 20, 2012





The Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park

 

I know I’ve already mentioned my home state of Michigan in connection with the ArtPrize competition, but Michigan’s Grand Rapids area is so full of art that I can’t help bringing it up again. The Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park is a place to be visited by all art lovers and appreciators. I myself have visited once, and once is surely not enough to see everything. You can take a trolley through the sculpture park and have a guide give you the low-down about each piece, but I chose to walk the grounds and have a personal experience while viewing the artwork. There are pieces by Alexander Calder, Claes Oldenburg, and even a giant metal horse based upon the drawings of Leonardo da Vinci. You can view metal heads without bodies, bodies made out of metal letters, abstract shapes you’re not quite sure what to make of, and an enormous red trowel stuck in the ground—all of these things you can find here among so many others.

A favorite of mine, if I can really say that I was able to pick a group of favorites, was a sculpture entitled Mad Mom by Tom Otterness. This large bronze sculpture, crafted in 2001, stands tall and depicts the “mad” feeling well through simple body language and facial expression. With arms akimbo and a frowning face, this mother figure exudes disappointment or frustration, but in a less than serious way. The use of geometric shapes and simplicity tone down the negative emotion in my opinion leaving the piece to be more accessible rather than off-putting as anger usually is. I attempted to mimic the statue’s pose and expression and I believe I ended up looking angrier than the Mad Mom. Perhaps I’ll have to use this stance and look when I’m actually a mother.

There is much to see at the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park. Over ten different types of gardens can be visited, a vast sculpture park can be perused, changing indoor exhibitions can be viewed, and there is also an amphitheater where concerts can be enjoyed. Again, if you’re ever in southern Michigan and the weather is being cooperative, stop by and enjoy all the art and creativity!

Article submitted by Alexadra Daily

Published by Contemporary Art Gallery Online

No comments:

Post a Comment