Thursday, October 11, 2012

Today I write about another ArtPrize


Today I write about another ArtPrize piece, one created by Eckhard Kremers. His sculpture is called “Amazone”( http://www.artprize.org/eckhard-kremers/2012/amazone), and I must say that I am completely, artistically, and romanticizingly in love with this piece. Crafted out of paper, wood, leather, tape, and acrylic, all of which are seemingly stiff materials, this work of art has a frozen-in-time cloth appearance. “Amazone” is comprised of a sculpted dress that is held up by one sculpted leg—it is morbid, yet whimsical all at once. A body missing parts and an aged dress may initially seem unattractive, but everything about Kremers’ piece, from its color to shape, is romantic and nostalgic like years gone by. For this piece Kremers was inspired by an exhibit of old German dresses from the 18th and 19th centuries and Pop Art. Being a romantic myself this piece speaks to me. It’s as if the dress and leg jumped out of a fairy tale. I find the unsymmetrical hemline and bodice compelling because they are imperfect. Nothing in life or in fairy tales is utterly perfect, something is always awry, and in my mind Eckhard Kremers captures the beauty of the imperfect in his uneven, yet completely balanced piece, “Amazone”.
 
Contributed by Alexandra Dailey
Published by Contemporary Art Gallery Online

No comments:

Post a Comment