Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Unexpected Visitors by F.M. Kearney


 
Like most photographers, I don't like to be disturbed while I'm shooting. Well, I suppose the same thing can be said of anyone when they're working. But, when I'm shooting and have everything set just right, any disturbances are particularly annoying.

I was shooting daylilies against the sun in the New York Botanical Garden one morning. I had my camera mounted on a tripod with a flash attached to compensate for the strong backlight. I was also using a reflector for even better lighting on the side. After shooting several compositions, I suddenly found myself surrounded by a small group of bees. At first, it seemed as though they were attracted to my reflector, however, it soon became apparent that the objects of their desire were the flowers. I patiently waited for them to clear out so I could continue working. Unfortunately, it didn't seem like they were planning on leaving anytime soon. But, as I watched, I noticed that they weren't just buzzing around haphazardly. Like little helicopters on a mission, they were methodically visiting each flower in the area – hovering for a few seconds, then landing to pollinate. I realized that this might make a more interesting photo than just the flowers alone. With the camera on the tripod and already trained on a subject, I only needed to wait for some to come into frame and take the picture. In an image I entitled, “Nature’s Finest,” I caught two bees on approach to a daylily.

I found it somewhat amusing how quickly I went from wishing they would leave to hoping they would not only stick around, but to be part of the image as well. Sometimes, unexpected visitors can bring welcomed surprises.

Article Submitted by:
F.M. Kearney is a fine art nature photographer, specializing in unique floral and landscape images. To see more of his work, please visit www.starlitecollection.com

No comments:

Post a Comment