Thursday, June 27, 2013

Subjectivity of Oil Paintings by Alexandra Dailey


Art by Sharon B. Hawkshawe

On Saturday while at work, I decided to stroll around the galleries and peruse the 370+ oil paintings that are now adorning the walls at The Crooked Tree Arts Center. I found myself particularly drawn to the super realistic pieces, the ones reminiscent of the Flemish still-lifes that contained teapots, flowers, dishes, ribbons, and memento mori. Some are so exquisitely conveyed that I believed I could reach into the frame and touch the depicted tablecloths. Some pieces display more contemporary subject matter while still retaining the true-to-life quality that I revel at. Other paintings deviate from realism and strive to convey emotion, power, and transience through less defined lines, blurred colors, and heavy brushstrokes laden with oil paint. These too are beautiful; I personally find beauty in both approaches—the precise, and the implied, impressionistic. After walking the galleries and seeing each painting, I resituated myself at the front desk. While seated I overheard our curator professing her like of the impressionistic pieces, which struck a chord in me. All of these paintings are unique, and quite amazing, yet each one of us has our preferences for which piece and which approach is best or most successful. The subjectivity of oil paintings. In this world we cannot escape subjectivity, especially when it comes to art. To me the clean lines and realistic paintings are preferable, but to someone else, the opposite style may seem superior. I wonder, even now, how the juror is going to select the best piece. How will he decided which is better, realistic or impressionistic? I am thankful that it is not up to me to decide. And thankfully I get to enjoy both ends of the oil painting spectrum at my place of employment. I don’t believe I could say which approach and style is overall better, or best. Each has its merits and its supporters. Which style do you prefer?

To get information about the OPA exhibit at The Crooked Tree Arts Center visit www.crookedtree.org.

Article Submitted by Alexandra Dailey

To read more articles written by Alexandra Dailey, visit http://alexdailey.wordpress.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment