Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Always Something There to Remind Me by F.M. Kearney




I often talk about the difficulties of being a nature photographer in a major metropolitan area like New York City. Unless I have the time and the means to escape city limits, most of my work will be restricted to local parks and botanical gardens. Even though I may be able to frame a photo to appear as if it was taken in the middle of nowhere, man-made elements are always nearby.





Late one afternoon, I glanced out my window and saw the most amazing cirrus cloud formations. I grabbed my camera and trusty polarizing filter and took a series of photos. As beautiful as the clouds were on their own, the filter enhanced them even more by darkening the blue sky. In most cases, a wide angle would probably be my lens of choice when shooting the sky. However, I needed to use a zoom lens in this situation in order to eliminate all surrounding distractions. To illustrate this, I took one last photo with a considerably wider view – including what I normally strive to exclude. It made me think of a 1982 hit from Naked Eyes. No matter how well I might be able to compose a nature photo within the city,  there's "Always Something There to Remind Me" that I'm never too far away from signs of civilization.


Article Submitted by:
F.M. Kearney is a fine art nature photographer, specializing in unique floral and landscape images. To see more of his work, please visit www.starlitecollection.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment