Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Best Laid Plans... by F.M. Kearney


 
I recently took a trip to Orlando, FL. to visit family. As a nature photographer, I'm always planning for the possibility of photo opportunities wherever I go. Being land-locked, I wasn't too thrilled about Orlando. I would have preferred a more coastal locale to capture dynamic sunrise or sunset photos. I wasn't at all sure about what to expect in Orlando, so I referred to my favorite little toy...Google Earth. I find this tool absolutely invaluable for familiarizing myself with just about anywhere I want to visit. Even if I'm not planning an actual trip, I can't even begin to count the number of virtual trips I've taken around the globe just for fun.
I was happily surprised when I Google-Earthed Orlando. A huge lake was located behind a resort directly across the street from where I would be staying. I would be on the west side of the lake facing east – perfectly positioned to capture stunning sunrise photos under a beautiful Florida sky. Well...that was the plan. When I got there, I immediately headed to the lake to scout out the best vantage points for my next few days of early morning shoots. I went behind the resort, but found the lake totally fenced off. I saw a lot on Google Earth, but I sure as heck didn't see that fence. When I asked the front desk personnel how I could gain access to it, they told me it was a private lake only accessible to guests of the resort.

In the words of John McEnroe: YOU CAN’T BE SERIOUS!!

With nothing else but streets and strip malls in the immediate area, my camera equipment became little more than a heavy paper-weight.
As it turned out, the only photos I got on the entire trip were the ones I took on the plane ride to Orlando. The view out the window as we climbed above the cloud layer was spectacular. As I would normally do on the ground, I placed a polarizing filter on my lens to make the clouds pop. When I looked through the camera, I saw a kaleidoscope of weird colors overlaying the scene. Not knowing exactly what was causing it, I removed the filter and the colors returned to normal. (I later learned that most airline windows are already polarized and will create a rainbow effect if you shoot through them using a polarizing filter). To block out reflections, I placed the lens as close to the window as I could without actually touching it – the plane's vibrations would have caused too much camera shake. I was also concerned about shooting through such a greasy, scratch-covered surface. I normally abhor shooting through vehicle windows, but I didn't really have much of a choice in this situation. I cleaned it as best I could and used a moderate depth of field to render the scratches invisible.
Hopefully, my plans won't fall through on my next trip as badly as they did on this one. It would have been nice to come back with more than just an ad for Southwest Airlines. But, in retrospect, I guess it's more important to spend quality time with family than it is to take pictures. It is...right?

 
Article Submitted by:
F.M. Kearney is a fine art nature photographer, specializing in unique floral and landscape images. To see more of his work, please visit www.starlitecollection.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment